With interest rates at all time lows, it is worth the few minutes to do a mortgage check up and determine if a refinance would be beneficial to your situation. Since there are many reasons a homeowner may choose to refinance, we’ll take a look at the few most common reasons to consider a refinance.
- Mortgage Rates Drop: The most common reason that homeowners refinance their mortgage is to secure a lower interest rate (and possibly shorten the amortization). Interest rate and loan amount determines the total cost that a borrower will pay. The lower the interest rate, the less the overall cost will be.
- Lower Payments: Lowering a mortgage payment can be achieved by lowering the mortgage rate, lengthening the loan term, combining two or more loans or removing mortgage insurance.
- New Mortgage Program: Refinancing an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM) to a new Fixed Rate Mortgage (FRM), combining a first and second mortgage or paying off a balloon loan are just a few possible reasons to explore a refinance.
- Debt Consolidation: If there is sufficient equity, sometimes paying off consumer debt by combining all debts into one lower monthly mortgage payment can significantly reduce the short-term deficits in a budget. However, it’s important to keep in mind the total cost of that debt by adding it into a 30 year mortgage payment.
A mortgage is generally the largest debt most homeowners have to manage. It’s a good idea to give your personal real estate finance portfolio a good review at least once a year.
St. Louis MORTGAGE INTEREST RATES for May 9, 2012:
- Conventional 30-Year Fixed 4.00%/ 4.195% APR
- Conventional 15-Year Fixed 3.250%/ 3.390% APR
- Conventional 5/1 ARM 2.375%/ 3.082% APR
- FHA/VA 30 Year Fixed 3.750%/ 3.991% APR
- Jumbo 5/1 ARM 2.875%/ 3.445% APR
- Jumbo 15 yr Fixed 3.375%/ 3.630% APR
- Jumbo 30 yr Fixed 4.750%/ 5.010% APR
*The above mortgage rates are based upon an 80% LTV, o/o single family with FICO scores of 720.
Paramount Mortgage is a locally owned Mortgage Banker celebrating our 41st year. Great rates and programs are secondary to what is most desired in a lender relationship: Integrity, Communication and Customer Satisfaction. Be to check out our website: www.paramountmortgage.com
For more information or if you have questions on mortgage rates you may contact me by phone at my direct line, (314) 372-4319, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can visit our company website at http://www.paramountmortgage.com.